Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tough Decisions

First, the good tough decision. I bought my airfare to Thailand! No turning back now, we're going! The price was the best I had seen and the times were really good. No 36 hour travel times for us! It will take us 19 hours to get there and 15 to get back. What's amusing is that we leave Bangkok at 520pm and arrive in Seattle at 525pm the same day. If only it was really a 5 minute flight. Pulling the trigger was difficult though. What if prices went down? Are we spending too much? Are we really ready to commit 100%?

Buying airfare is always nerve-wracking. You never know if you're getting a good deal or overpaying. Dropping a thousand dollars on one thing isn't something most people (of my acquaintance) do very often, especially with no ability to get a refund. Aside from my house payment, it's the largest amount of money I spend on anything. Plus, once you buy your ticket, you're committing yourself to spending a lot more money once you get there.

On the flip side though, I may have to make the decision to nix Bulgaria. I don't want to! I'm still holding out hope that I can make it work. But just over 8 weeks out from when we're supposed to leave and I don't have a commitment from my travel partner. She can't get an answer from her work and while she waits, airfare climbs.

Originally we were supposed to fly through Iceland to Munich before spending the majority of our time in Bulgaria, but the price of the Iceland Air flights has sky-rocketed. In May, I was looking at $1099. Now, skipping Iceland, I'm at $1322. With a 30 hour return travel time. I'm not sure if I can justify it now. I know I wouldn't regret going, but I also am not sure I can deal with myself when my credit card statement drives me to a nervous breakdown.

Having to turn down something you're so passionate about is hard. I've been looking forward to this all year. I've planned out what I want to see, asked for the time off from work, and set money aside. But at some point, I have to be an adult. I really hate those points. Fingers crossed I won't get to that point!

No comments:

Post a Comment