Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Making the Most of a Layover

I think it's clear by now that I like to pack a lot into my trips. I've sacrificed sleep, safety and with great difficulty, food, to make sure I get to see everything I possibly can with the limited time I have available to me. One way I've found to add some sightseeing to an already packed schedule is to do a short tour during a layover. Usually you'll need a good 6-7 hours minimum to make this worthwhile, but rather than sitting in an airport playing with my phone or generally being bored, I like to go out and see a bit of the city I'm stopped in.

The first time I did this, we were flying KLM to Casablanca, Morocco. Our layover was in Amsterdam and we had 7 hours between flights. Since we had so much time, we researched ahead of the trip and found that the Amsterdam airport led tours originating and concluding at the airport of varying lengths, depending on your layover time. You find the tour companies desk, tell them how long your layover is, and they tell you how long of a tour you have time for. Once you've paid, they quickly take you through customs and out to a waiting van.

Our tour took us first to a wooden shoe making shop. We got to see a demonstration of how they were made and learn a bit about the history of why they ever became a thing in the first place (they were cheap, practical, and it didn't hurt if the cows stepped on your feet!). After the shoes, we stopped at a windmill for a photo op before driving through the city past the Van Gogh museum and the Red Light District to a dock. We were hustled to the front of the line to get on a boat for a trip around the canals. We saw both old and new Amsterdam, the Ann Frank house, and learned how people moved into their tall, narrow buildings using the hook at the top of each house. Finally we headed back to the airport to catch our next flight. But we definitely felt the need to go back and make a full trip in the future.

Another time I had a 6 hour layover in London on my way to Madrid, Spain. I had been to London before, but there was plenty I hadn't seen. Before leaving, I talked to a friend who grew up there and asked what was something I could reasonably see in that time frame, knowing I had to take the tube into the city, which requires about an hour on either side. We decided that I could probably see all of the Tower of London in that time, and if I had more, I could swing by Westminster Abby and one of his favorite local pubs on my way back.

After sleepily trying to use my Seattle train card to get on the London tube, I finally made it into the city and to the Tower. I was just in time to catch a free Beef-eater guided tour. I highly recommend this as you learn a lot and many of the tour guides have a great sense of humor. However, not included in the tour is the crown jewels. I looked at the line and decided that there was no way I would be able to see them and still make my connecting flight. I walked around the Tower for awhile longer, exploring everything else there was to see, then headed back to the airport and on to Madrid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment