Monday, June 24, 2013

An Itch (Of The Traveling Kind)

Sometimes I get an itch. No, not that kind of itch. An itch that says it's time to do something different. Do something crazy. Jump off a cliff in Germany. Dive into a deep, blue hole in Belize. Ride a camel across the desert in Morocco. It's been 7 months since I came home from India (I survived the streets of Delhi!). When I first got back, I was relieved to be done traveling for awhile. I had spent most of 2012 flying somewhere in the world and home actually felt like the real vacation. But now that it's been 7 months, the travel itch has returned.

I've been trying to plan a trip to Iceland, Germany and Bulgaria with a friend around Oktoberfest since India, but for various reason, we never could set anything in stone. For months, I'd pester her, asking for dates, wanting to buy airfare. And she'd always put me off due to issues with her job. There really was nothing she could do about it. But finally tonight, we talked on the phone and we have dates! Though it seems like we'll have to shave a few days off the trip since she doesn't have as much time off as she originally thought. But I don't care. We're going to Europe! I can't wait to relax in the Blue Lagoon, buy a dirndl and drink beer at Oktoberfest, and see the country where one of my closest friends grew up!

As if Europe wasn't enough, another friend asked me a few months ago if I wanted to go to Thailand and Cambodia in February 2014. Um, duh! All you had to do was ask! Inspired today by having some solid plans for Europe, I started researching Thailand. It's so cheap! It's so beautiful! It's so tasty! Seriously, I think the original reason I wanted to go to Thailand was because of my deep and abiding love for Thai food. And what's more, we're going to take a Thai cooking class in Bangkok! We also plan to spend several days on the beach in Koh Phi Phi just relaxing, maybe do a couple dives. And of course, Angkor Wat in Cambodia is a must. The ancient temple complex is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and more than worth the time spent getting there. I'm pretty sure this trip will have everything a person could ever ask for in a holiday.

Finally, there's Brazil. One of my other passions in life is soccer (football, futbol, calcio, etc), and the biggest event in soccer is the FIFA World Cup. The US national team has all but qualified for a spot in the World Cup being held in Brazil in June of 2014, which means I plan to find a way to make it down there to watch. I've had a couple offers of places to stay as long as I buy my airfare. This is a huge deal! Accommodations are going to be outrageous for this event. Not one, but two places to stay in Brazil is more than I could have asked for. Well, the US winning the World Cup would be more than I could ask for, but I'm not even going there right now.

9 months, 6 countries, 3 continents. It will be exhausting. It will be expensive. My parents will hate having to dog sit so much. But every second, every penny, every parental complaint will be more than worth it. I can't believe how lucky I am that all this is even remotely possible, let alone probable. And I will be sure to share it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment