Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Iran: The Next Big Travel Destination?

When I was in India, I traveled with a girl who had grown up in Iran, but moved to Toronto with her family when she was 15. She told me stories of her childhood and the differences pre and post revolution. The changes were drastic! Before the revolution, being a Muslim was as optional as being a Christian in the States. Her teacher wore short skirts to school. After, of course, was much different, and more in line with the Iran we hear about in the news. But with the election of a new president, one who is much more moderate in his views, could this mean a new Iran, too?

Today she invited me to visit Iran with her next year. Of course, I immediately jumped on it. Obviously it's a long way off, and as I mentioned in my previous post, I already have a lot of travel planned over the next year. But this is one of those once in a life time opportunities. How do you say no? Especially when several of your friends would be going, too. I will certainly try to find a way.

But it also got me thinking. I know there's a lot of people out there who would say, "Don't go there, it's dangerous! You'll get thrown in jail for being an American spy! Or worse!!", but honestly, this has never stopped me from going anywhere. Sure, the warnings on the state department site are dire, and the media blows everything out of proportion, but more often than not, the stories I hear from people who have actually been there are positive. The much more difficult question to answer is, should I be going to, and spending money in a country that is so at odds with our own? Is that being unpatriotic, or however you want to label it?

Personally, I don't think it is. I've always believed that more good comes of traveling than bad. You get to see first hand how different cultures really work. You get to meet everyday people, just like us and talk to them, learn why they think the way they do. You may not agree, but it goes a long way to understanding. And it puts a very real face to what you hear in the media every day. It allows you to make your own decisions based on your own observations. Most importantly, it helps you think for yourself. But one of the most interesting things I gain from travel is a greater appreciation of home.

So I may have another trip to plan in my future! Nothing is for certain just yet, but the opportunity is there. And what an opportunity it is! Taking politics out of the situation, Iran has a wealth of things to do and see. There's natural beauty, palaces and mosques. The ancient city of Persepolis and one of the oldest continuous major civilizations in the world. You can also visit the Treasury of National Jewels and towering mountains. They even have ski resorts! Only time will tell if our governments can sort things out, but hopefully traveling there will get easier sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment